Former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa is jailed in Bangalore’s Parappana Agrahara Central Jail after being convicted in the DA case. Will she be coming out in bail for Diwali is the only question and heated discussion running in the minds of ADMK supporters.
The case which was moving like a tortoise came to a halt on September 27th 2014 when Judge Michael D Cunha gave a stunning verdict against convicted Jayalalithaa, which included 4 years of imprisonment under one section and 6 months of imprisonment under another section (can be taken together so it’s a 4 years jail term) along with a fine amount of Rs. 100cr (if failed to pay will receive another one year of imprisonment).
The main evidence against Jayalalithaa in the DA case is the marriage she conducted for her Foster son Sudhakaran. The marriage was performed with such pomp and splendor that even Queen Victoria would have stunned. The then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Jayalalithaa conducted this marriage in 1995. The extravaganza ceremony conducted on 08.09.1995 is still to be matched in the state.
I was 12 during the period of this ceremony and now when the case is closed with a superb judgment I’m in my 30’s. So one can imagine, many of the recent generation followers of ADMK would not have known about the gravity of that ceremony. The main aim of this post is to bring into light the atrocities and illegal use of position by the former Chief Minister Jayalalithaa.
Here I bring a file report on the particular marriage which was responsible for the whole of mankind to understand the real nature of the then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Jayalalithaa.
- “No one has to worry or bother about how this ceremony is conducted. This marriage will be conducted like how a Chief Minister’s Son’s marriage would be conducted. No one has to discuss about it.” – This was the first statement issued by Jayalalithaa after the media reports about the extravaganza and money spent on this marriage
- Even the then ministers of ADMK cabinet were stunned when they listened to how this marriage should be conducted as dictated by Jayalalithaa.
- Keeping apart the extravaganza which could not be even dreamt off, one minister personally questioned if this kind of spending is actually required? And the reply he got from Jayalalithaa was simple – “Who could comment about this function. I am just bothered if you will be able to handle such function. Don’t think of this as a marriage, think of this as a party annual public meeting and start making the arrangements”. And then started the game…
- Stealing electricity from street mains, digging the whole stretch of road to install pandal and arches and banners, Donation collection, allotting battalions of police force for this private work. These are very few of how the ministers and the then Chief minister Jayalalithaa misused their office.
- 4th September 1995, Night 11:30pm Jayalalithaa left her Poes garden residence alone with just two cars to follow (without her close aide Sasikala). Did a round up towards Adyar Signal and then towards Marina Kannagi Statue. Verified and checked all the banners, arches and pandals erected and was happily satisfied.
- Then she made visit to MRC Nagar where the marriage is to happen. All ministers were in the place looking after the arrangements.
- She was there for full one hour. She was greeted by Mr. Ramamurthy Iyer a famous Hindu priest from Thirukaattupalli in Thanjavur District.
- The priest has brought with him gold plates which were kept for poojas and are ready to be installed in the main mandapam (where marriage takes place) region of the marriage ground.
- The gold plates along with navamanigal (includes the likes of Diamonds, pearls, rubies, emeralds etc) were buried in 8 places in 8 directions around the mandapam.
- The same was done all around the ground.
- MRC nagar where the marriage was supposed to happen is at the seashore. So Tamil Nadu police force where given the task of doing the night patrol in boats along the region to stop infiltrators.
- Many marriage halls all around Chennai was pre-booked for police personnel’s to stay. Now you can imagine the number of police personnel’s employed for this purpose. They were all being diverted from duties, from around the full state of Tamil Nadu.
- From inside of the marriage pandal, none could see the pandal or the materials used. The full interior was covered with plaster of paris and designed with intricate works.
- The main marriage mandapam was designed like a Durbar hall with all pillars fixed and designed with precious stones.
- Three bungalows were built inside the marriage pandal area (now imagine the area of marriage). One bungalow for Jayalalithaa, one for Sasikala and her family members and one for the girls’ family.
- The bungalows where given z grade security even before days of marriage employing the elite police personnel.
- Police has entered all houses in the MRC nagar area and have asked people to evacuate the home the marriage function is over. They were asked to stay in any lodge or hotel and then produce the bill to them and get a refund back. Those who refused were threatened.
- Remaining people staying in the area were given Identity cards. Only those with Identity cards can enter the area till the marriage was over. Even the family of former minister Alaghu Thirunavukarasu and family were issued with identity cards as they were staying there.
- All those who come for this marriage has to cross Chettinad vidhyashram school in the area. The school was supposed to have quarterly exams to be started from 11th of September 1995. But because of this arrangements and restrictions the school remained closed from 4th of September 1995.
- Over 40 trees in the marriage ground was cut off to create a separate VIP seating area.
- Education ministry came with an excellent idea of cheer girls. A notice was issued to all colleges in Tamil Nadu to send the good looking girls from their college to the marriage function. Those girls were given high quality silk saris and were paid over Rs. 10000/- per head for being the welcome committee for the function. Their main work is to guide the VIP’s to the respective area and make them get seated.
- Over 90% beauty parlors in and around Chennai was booked for the dates of 6th and 7th of September 1995 just for Sasikala’s family members to get done with their makeover.
- Ministers Kannappan, S.T.S and Senkottaiyan were given the task of collecting the gifts that would be given by supporters and guests during the function. All were asked not to bring any gifts to the function area. These gifts were diverted to the above ministers’ home. They were then to give the account of it to Jayalalithaa.
Here ends the Part I. This is just an introduction to how the arrangements were made. The main event, its aftermaths and effects will be described in further posts. This article is a reprisal of the original article posted in Vikatan.com in Tamil. For those who want to read this in Tamil please visit http://news.vikatan.com/article.php?module=news&aid=33473